World Media

Members of the public praised for detaining Sydney knife attacker

Members of the public praised for detaining Sydney knife attacker

It's not yet clear what set off the attack, which Wood called "unprovoked", noting that the suspect "stabbed an innocent woman for no specific reason".

New South Wales Police said in a statement: "Inquiries are under way after the body of a woman was found inside a unit on Clarence Street, Sydney, about 3.15pm (0615 BST) today".

Screengrab taken with permission from a video issued by 7 News of a man being tackled with a milk crate and chairs by members of the public in Sydney, Australia, following a knife attack.

A 41-year-old woman had been taken to hospital in a stable condition with a stab wound to her back.

"No other person was complicit at this stage", Wood said, adding that there were no other injuries. "As investigation continues, we will reassess that".

He said he was known to police but "his history was unremarkable compared to the gravity of the crimes he committed".

The 21-year-old is expected to be charged with murder as well as serious assault in relation to the stabbing.

"It is not now classed as a terrorist incident".

Police tape was strung up outside the building with officers standing guard at the door.

Four-year-old bug leaves iPhones vulnerable to Contacts hack
But with a little additional effort, the researchers were able to make a trusted app send code to trigger the bug. Apple's new bug bounty program aims to make it more hard for companies like NSO Group to hack into your iPhone.

"You could see drips, - the blood was on the ground", he told The Australian.

"I froze for probably a split second but then I thought I'm hoping that he's not covered in any explosives or anything", he told Nine News Sydney. The radical-Islamist chant might have been a tactic created to get police to open fire, a tactic thwarted by the four sharp-thinking men in Sydney.

He told AAP the area was usually "nice and quiet" and he was saddened to about the woman's death. Police said he used the Arabic phrase "Allahu akbar".

Police and ambulances responded to reports of an armed man at about 2pm in the heart of the city's business district.

Paul O'Shaughnessy and his brother Luke, from Manchester, were among the heroes who restrained the man, according to the Guardian, which reported that he shouted "extremist slogans".

He alerted his brother Luke, 30, but by then, the man had fled so they followed a trail of blood until they found him. "They said: "It's a crime scene, you can't come out", said the woman, who declined to give her name.

"We just tried to get down as quick as we could".

Video showed that people pinned the man to the pavement on his back with a plastic milk crate over his head and two chairs over his body. "I saw people running so I ran towards him with a few other guys", a man wrote on Twitter. "These members of the public have jumped into this situation that was extremely hostile", Wood said."They have brought this person into custody and allowed us to do our job".

"The attacker is now in police custody following the fearless actions of those who were present at the scene and were able to ... restrain him", Morrison said.