Culture&Arts

Man Who Fell Into Coma After Eating Slug Dies

Man Who Fell Into Coma After Eating Slug Dies

His funeral is scheduled for Thursday.

Rat lungworm usually affects rodents.

"Physios had Sam standing in the frame at the gym", she wrote.

"We were sitting over here having a bit of a red wine appreciation night, trying to act as grown up and a slug came crawling across here", recalled Ballard's pal Jimmy Galvin of the 2010 incident.

"The conversation came up, 'Should I eat it?'".

At Hornsby Hospital, not far from where Sam grew up, friends and family gathered.

Katie Ballard with her Sam who was left severely disabled after contracting meningitis and was in a coma for over 400 days.

Galvin said he apologized for not stopping his friend from eating the worm that night. Off Sam went. Bang.

Doctors determined that the Australian man had contracted eosinophilic meningitis from the slug that was infected with the rat lungworm parasite, according to Sky News. He contracted eosinophilic meningoencephalitis ― a form of meningitis ― and fell into a coma that lasted 420 days.

Bayern consider legal action over European Super League claims
Any such move could doom UEFA's Champions League and impact the respective clubs' domestic competitions. UEFA is not mentioned in the draft.

Others online who payed tribute to the young man urged his friends to celebrate his life after all the hardships. Earlier this year we brought you the story of Sam Ballard who, on a dare from his mates, ate a slug.

'Let go of the guilt and try to find some peace themselves. Hopefully your friends will keep visiting your mum and family in the coming years.

The former rugby player had since had limited movement in his limbs, needed help going to the bathroom and eating, and had trouble communicating, though, based on his reactions to things, "you [knew he was] there", one of his friends tells the Herald.

Katie Ballard, Sam's mother, says she doesn't blame the boys for their silly dare, or her son for taking them up on it.

In 2011, Katie wrote: "Sam is doing really well".

"He will walk and talk again (thank god) but the time factor is was we don't know". She said of all the "superstars" she interviewed in 2018, none touched her the way Sam did.

But Katie previously admitted Sam's illness has hit the family hard, saying: 'It's devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever.

In 2010, Australian teenager Sam Ballard did something that would change the course of his life forever. It's huge. The impact is huge, ' she said.