Medicine

Wisconsin Man Almost Dies After Being Licked By His Dog

Wisconsin Man Almost Dies After Being Licked By His Dog

48-year-old Greg Manteufel is a dog lover and never expected that he will lose his limbs after his pet licked him.

Doctors believe he most likely contracted the bacteria by a lick from his own dog.

Greg Manteufel went to the emergency room last month for flu-like symptoms, WITI reported.

Within hours, his body started going into septic shock.

"It hit him with a vengeance - just bruising all over him", said his wife, Dawn Manteufel. To Dawn, it was as if her husband had just been beaten with a baseball bat.

Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats carry the bacteria that can cause these infections, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but in most cases, people only get infected after being bitten. The bacteria dramatically slows down the body's blood circulation and decreases blood pressure.

"He kept just saying, 'Take what you need, but keep me alive.' And they did it - surprisingly enough, they did do it", Dawn Manteufel said.

Watch the NEW Venom 2018 movie trailer now!
Somehow, Brock and a symbiote-named Venom-become united, and Brock deals with trying to keep his sanity and control of his body. And that's exactly what happens to poor Eddie who's told by his alien symbiote that if he cooperates he might just survive.

Doctors said Greg's case is simply a fluke.

A GoFundMe Account has been set up to help with Manteufel's medical bills. She said life as they knew it changed forever.

The 48-year-old has had to have all four of his limbs amputated.

Manteufel's GoFundMe page states that Capnocytophaga canimorsus is fairly common and grows in the mouths of up to 60 percent of dogs and 17 percent of cats.

Within a week of being in the hospital, doctors first amputated Greg's feet and then his legs up to his kneecaps.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated patients infected with the bacteria may have blisters around the bite wound, swelling, redness, fever, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle and joint pain.

Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told WITI that Manteufel's case is an extremely rare occurrence and that pet owners need not panic. Manteufel also spent his entire life around dogs, which makes the blood infection all the more surprising. "It's just chance", she told the station. The woman recovered after two weeks in an intensive-care unit, says the report, which aptly called the sepsis-causing bacteria the "lick of death". These infections are more likely in people over 40 who have an immuno-compromised condition, or in people who excessively use alcohol or who have had their spleen removed, according to the CDC.