Medicine

71-year-old dies after eating oysters tainted with flesh-eating bacteria

71-year-old dies after eating oysters tainted with flesh-eating bacteria

A 71-year-old man died from a bacteria infection after eating raw oysters at a restaurant in Sarasota County, Florida, according to reports. Of the 80,000 illnesses caused by vibriosis each year, about 52,000 of them were a result of eating contaminated food, according to the CDC.

The bacteria, called Vibrio vulnificus, is often associated with eating raw or under-cooked shellfish. or entering into warm coastal waters with exposed wounds. A department spokesman tells us the man also had underlying medical conditions. However, the department did not reveal the name of the restaurant.

A Florida man died from a flesh-eating bacteria after eating bad oysters, according to officials.

Though sometimes labeled a "flesh-eating" bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus can not attack healthy skin, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

Vibrio vulnificus bacteria is found in raw or undercooked shell fish, especially during the summer months when salt water temperatures are higher.

Trump jokingly blames US intelligence for White House power cut
John Cornyn of Texas, said sanctions may be preferable to a nonbinding resolution that amounts to "just some messaging exercise". But she also anxious about "increasingly aggressive rhetoric" the Trump administration is using against allies.

Because the water is warmer, bacteria become more prevalent. Infections are rare but they can be contracted by eating tainted raw shellfish - such as oysters - or by exposing open wounds to salt water. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries.

In Florida, the Vibrio vulnificus bacterium is present year-round and this year has already led to 16 cases of infection statewide, with three confirmed fatalities, report health officials.

Anyone can get infected with Vibrio vulnificus, but people who have liver disease, cancer, diabetes or HIV are more likely to get an infection.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills, rapid pulse, rapid breathing, wound infections and intestinal infections. In 2017, 11 people died after contracting the infection, out of 49 confirmed cases reported throughout the state.