World Media

Carbon Monoxide Sickens 5, Kills Elderly Man In Bernal Heights

Carbon Monoxide Sickens 5, Kills Elderly Man In Bernal Heights

One person is dead and five others were hurt after being exposed to carbon monoxide in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood on Thursday.

Emergency crews were called at 4:26 a.m. after a carbon monoxide alarm sounded in the home, ABC7 reported.

US Jobless Claims fall 2000 to 236000
The four-week moving average of the so-called continuing claims rose 1,000 to 1.91 million. The drop surprised economists, who had expected jobless claims to inch up to 240,000.

Baxter credited the upstairs neighbors for having a carbon monoxide alarm and for saving the life of the elderly woman. Two residents on the lower level of the home were impacted by the carbon monoxide. The elderly man was found without a pulse in a rear bedroom. She was given advanced life-saving treatment and transported to St. Francis Hospital, where they have a hyperbaric chamber, essential in treating those with carbon monoxide poisoning. Paramedics performed CPR on him for 45 minutes to no avail. Investigators were focusing on a water heater and a heating unit as a possible source of the CO2. The Pacific Gas and Electric Company turned off the gas to the heater.

Four residents on the upper level were able to get out and were treated at the scene.